1. We believe the Bible is God’s Word to us. Men were moved by the Spirit to write the words of the Bible, and it is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the complete truth without error (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 1:13; Psalm 119:105, 160, 12:6; Proverbs 30:5).
2. We believe that God is the Creator of all things and that He exists as one God in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (the trinity) (Genesis 1:1,26-27, 3:22; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
3. We believe in the divine nature of Jesus Christ as the second member of the trinity, and that He took on flesh to reveal God’s nature to humanity, to live a sinless life, and to die on the cross as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. We believe in His resurrection and ascension, and that He will come again in power and glory (John 1:1,2; 1 Corinthians 15:1-8; Philippians 2:6; John 5:18; Acts 1:9-11).
4. We believe in the Holy Spirit, that as the third and equal member of the trinity, He was given to us as our advocate, our power for living the Christian life, and our helper for understanding spiritual truth. We believe in the necessity of regeneration of the Holy Spirit due to sinful nature of mankind, and in His indwelling power for those who are saved (2 Corinthians 3:17; John 16:7-13, 14:16,17; Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 2:12, 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Galatians 5:25; Ephesians 5:18).
5. We believe that salvation comes through faith alone—faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ on the cross, which provides the sole basis for the forgiveness of sins. Salvation is a free gift; it cannot be earned, and occurs when a person places his faith in the death and resurrection of Christ as the Lord and Savior of his life (Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 1:12; 14:6; Titus 3:5; Galatians 3:26; Romans 5:1).
6. We believe that people are made in the image of God. Mankind was created to live in fellowship with God, but that fellowship was broken when sin entered the world. People are now separated from God due to sin and are incapable of returning to a right relationship with Him in their own strength (Genesis 1:27; Psalm 8:3-6; Isaiah 53:5a; Romans 3:23; Isaiah 59:1-2).
7. We believe that Jesus Christ is head of the church and that those who are saved are the members of its body. We believe that the church exists to glorify God, and that its members are to live for Christ and not themselves. We also believe in the spiritual unity of the body in its common love for Christ as each member walks and grows in the Spirit, telling the world what the Lord has done (Romans 12:5, Romans 8:9, 1 Corinthians 10:17, 12:12-13, 27, Ephesians 4:12, 5:23, Galatians 3:26-28, Acts 2:42, Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 1:8).
8. We believe that people were created to exist forever, and that we will either live out that eternal existence in heaven or in hell—either separated forever from God through our own sin, or living forever with God through His reconciliation (John 3:16, 14:17; Romans 6:23, 8:17-18; Revelation 20:15; 1 Corinthians 2:7-9).
We have aligned with the fundamental beliefs of the Christian faith. We do not adhere to any one denominational belief system, and therefore we shall neither promote nor allow disparaging remarks in regards to specific denominational beliefs on which Onward has not taken a stance. We desire unity in the body of Christ.